Sunday, June 3, 2012

Week 23

Who would have known a well placed extra four hours of work a week could thrown a schedule so far off? Oh, I'll just write an update between my morning shift and my evening shift, that shouldn't be so har... Zzzzzz. Anyways, last week was another busy one.

I did end up going hiking with a friend last Wednesday. We rode the train out to Sakurai in Nara and walked several miles North to Tennri (also in Nara.) We walked along an old pilgrimage trail dotted, along the way, with many old shrines and key-hole tombs. If this course sound familiar it's because I did the reverse (Southbound) hike with another friend a few years ago. We had great weather this time which made for a really nice hike.

Thursday was pretty normal, if a little busy at work. Friday at my high-school I got my kids hooked on a new-ish board game that involves trains, colors, and North American geography (called Ticket to Ride.) Friday evening I went to see Men in Black 3 in 3D. My plan to go on the first of the month and get the "cheap" 1000yen ($10) ticked was sullied by the extra 1000yen surcharge for seeing the movie in 3D. It was a good movie, maybe not $20 ticket good... but then not many movies are.

I took Saturday (and Sunday) off work so I could attend my best friend in Japan's wedding. This was my first wedding ceremony in Japan and it certainly was interesting. The couple picked the "Western" style ceremony which was an interesting take on an actual "Western" style wedding. Everything happened at one location with a banquet room and a separate hall for the ceremony. After everyone had gathered we were ushered into the ceremony hall where things progressed much as a Christian wedding might but in Japanese read by a "priest" how more likely graduated from acting college than seminary. After the ceremony we all filed into the banquet room where a multi-course lunch was served, speeches given, cake cut, etcetera. Of special note were speeches by the groom's brother, the bride's close friends, and your truly  (which I had to wing, as I didn't realize I would be called upon until the last minute.) Also the bride and groom read letters to their parents (not a dry eye in the house after those) and presented roses to their mothers. Everyone got a nice gift bag in the end with a little cheesecake and a cool catalogue you could pick and order your parting gift from. After a break in the afternoon, so everyone could go home and change, the party moved to one of the local Irish pubs in the evening.

Sunday morning I took it easy and cleaned my apartment. I met up with a friend who's leaving the country soon to get one more gaming session in in the afternoon. This was capped off with dinner at my favorite burrito place. It was nice to have a day off in the middle of the work week for once.

Monday morning I was up and out of the house early to do my kindergarden thing. This time was a bit special in that I got observed my a trainer while I did my classes. He gave good feedback and things went smoothly in general. Planning to come home and blog I napped instead, waking up just in time to go to work in the evening.

Today (Tuesday) it turning into another lazy day so I'll have to think of something fun to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment