Sunday, January 22, 2012

Week 4

A pretty good week last week. I lounged around the house on Tuesday only venturing out briefly to do laundry and get burritos for lunch. Sadly my girlfriend was still recovering from a cold this week so date-night got pushed back from Tuesday to Friday night.

Wednesday was more exciting as I went to see my favorite band play in Kyoto. In the early afternoon I met up with some friends and we, in-turn, headed off to meet more friends in a town half-way to Kyoto. We had a nice late lunch of tako-yaki (squid balls) and dango (grilled rick cakes.) This was an excellent chance to try out my New Year's resolution of trying new things (and old things I once though disgusting.) Turns out I really like both tako-yaki and dango. Like herding cats it was a chore to get everyone out the door and headed to the show but somehow we made it to the station on time. In Kyoto we stopped at a convenience store and bought beer for the band (a tradition now) before heading to the venue. The set was great (as usual) and as there's a new album coming out soon we even got to hear some new material. After the show our group adjourned to a local izakaya (japanese pub) for drinks and food. I managed to catch the last train home and melted into my bed.

The work week went by without incident and was more of a framing device for non-work hours than anything else.

Friday night I tried my hand in the kitchen and made taco-rice (taco fixings over rice) for my girlfriend. I think it came out pretty good. I bought way too much ground beef and had an un-opened bag of tortilla chips so I made nachos for myself Saturday night.

Saturday and Sunday night were spent cleaning out old files at home (do I really need three year old gas bills?) and generally trying to get my apartment back into some form of organization.

We're heading into the cold part of the year here in Osaka (lows in the upper 20's (f)!) so it seems unlikely that I'll have any big adventures in the near future (there's certainly nothing on the calendar) but maybe something wonderful will present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment