Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 2

Last Monday afternoon I had mostly recovered from my New Years Eve exploits and decided to have people over to play some board games. We started around 3pm and went past midnight with a short break for pizza in the middle.

One thing learned from Monday's gaming session was that my folding table was a little too small to play some of my games. One of the friends who'd come over agreed to help me build a new table-top on Tuesday. I'd kind of been thinking of such a project for a while so I already had plans drawn up. After a quick trip to the hardware store the main construction took about four hours. At this point the glue between the surface and the frame needed time to dry so we went out to find fabric to cover the top. With great luck we found a fabric store that was 1.) open and 2.) going out of business with everything on sale. Back at my place we tacked the fabric to the top and gave it a test run... only to find out that the wood frame that holds the top stead on the table had warped and didn't fit correctly. In a Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance moment we decided not to fix it right away and instead played some games on a slightly askew table-top. (I took a chisel to it the next day, it fits perfectly now.) During the building phase I got what I consider to be high praise from the friend who was helping when he noted that I'd engineered the heck out of this table top.

Wednesday was the last day of my vacation and I enjoyed it by not leaving the house (thank you Dominoes) and watching movies all day.

Thursday was a blessedly easy first day back at work followed by a slightly hectic Friday wherein I had to do some running around at work. The upside to Friday's change-up was that I got to see one of my friends and after work we hit up the local McDonalds and shared the commute home.

Saturday's work couldn't pass quickly enough as I had plans to see my girlfriend that evening. tHis week we met at the grocery store where we bought ingredients for nabe (hot pot.) This was our first time seeing each-other this year so it was nice to catch up with New Years going ons.

Nothing too special yesterday (Sunday) though I did stop at my favorite burrito place on the way home.

Today is Seijin no Hi (Coming of Age Day) so no "work" for me but I do have a lot of things that need to be done around the house so it looks like I'll be busy none the less.

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa Schim is smiling in heaven about the overbuilding of the table! He taught you well. LOL
    MomCat

    ReplyDelete