Saturday, November 3, 2012

Week 44


It seems that my kindergarten shifts on Mondays really mess with my writing schedule and I just can't seem to find time elsewhere in the week to write. Hmmm...

Anyways, last Wednesday (Oct. 24) the I hung around the house most of the day. I tried to have lunch at my favorite burrito place but they were closed for a much needed vacation (it's a family run place) so I hit up Burger King instead. In the evening I tried a new online game with some friends, though try as I might I just couldn't figure it out.

Thursday morning I headed to a place out in the boonies of North Osaka called Murano to help with a Halloween party for another alternative high-school (associated with the one I teach at on Fridays.) I put on my "Vash the Stampede" cos-play costume and the kids really liked it. The students (around 10 kids) made lunch for everyone and a good time was had by all. Luckily the high-school was in the neck of the woods I teach at on Thursdays anyways so it was easy to get to work in the afternoon. Unfortunately I had a cough and runny nose all through work but managed, somehow, to be my usual peppy self. I skipped that week's grocery shopping and went home and collapsed into bed.

Friday's usual high-school shift went by quickly as my usual students didn't show up again and I played games with the other kids all day. After work I went into the shopping arcade near work and ordered a new pair of glasses. In the evening a friend from Tokyo came into town so a few of the locals got together for drinks at the local watering hole.

Saturday's (Oct. 27) shift at work went much better than expected. It varies from class to class but the Halloween special event lesson can be a bit stressful on the teachers. Fortunately everything went well an all the kids had a good time. After work I tried the new online game with my friends again. I did a little better this time but still found it a challenge. Instead of joining the usual Halloween shenanigans in town this year I stayed home and watched a movie instead.

Last Sunday was fairly easy from start to finish. I had a few breaks at work. I bought a new plastic model on the way home. Watched a thunder storm roll in from my balcony. Made dinner for myself. Watched Ghostbusters and then went to bed.

Monday I had my second and final kindergarten Halloween lesson in the morning. Again the kids really liked my costume and had a good time. I stopped for lunch at a take out place and had a nice long nap before my eve ing shift started.

Tuesday I had to get up at an unreasonable hour (for a "day off" anyways) to go into my company HQ for training. After 3 hours of learning about things that won't take effect for another 5 months I stopped at home to change before heading down to my friend's house for our weekly video game session.

Luckily I could sleep in a bit on Wednesday (Oct. 31). Late in the morning I went to pick up my new glasses and get some lunch. Next, I stopped mt Krispy Kreme to get a dozen Halloween theme doughnuts to take to my high-school's Halloween party. I used my Luigi costume this time and it was a big hit. The highlight of the party was carving real, North American, orange mini-pumpkins. The students were remarkably good at making some amazing faces. In the evening the usual set of friends came over to my place to hang out.

Thursday I did one last day of Halloween lessons at work. In the evening I came home and shaved to participate in a "Mowvember" event/beard growing competition.

This past Friday was almost the same as the previous one at work. My students didn't show so I got to hang out with the other students all day. this was the first day I wore my new glasses most of the day and as usual they took some getting used to. I stopped at my favorite barber shop on the may home and hot my hair trimmed back to match my new bald face.

Today (Saturday, October 3rd) was Culture Day here in Japan so I had the day off. This is the first Saturday I didn't have to work in a vary long time. I lounged around the house all morning before heading out mid-day. I hadn't been to the Tennoji zoo in a while so I decided to take my camera and head down there today. It was pretty busy but not too crowded. After stopping at a home-center on the way home I spent the next few hour cleaning my apartment. I stopped and made dinner before writing this post which is the last thing on a long to-do list I had written for today.

Back to work tomorrow and Monday (Monday's blog post will no-doubt be a bit short.) Next Tuesday I'm going to have a mini-Thanksgiving with my video-game-playing friends in addition to our usual gaming session, which should be fun. Aside from that I'm looking forward to traveling back to the States for an all-too-short trip for actual Thanksgiving later in the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment