Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 36

Well, time flies when you're having fun and deadlines race past.

Last Wednesday's Zoo/Concert adventure turned out to be more excitement than I had bargained for. Things started off normal enough as I stopped by the convenience store to pay my $100 summer electric bill. (It's usually around $30 when I'm not running my AC.) I then had a ice walk over to my favorite burrito place under an overcast sky which was keeping the day from getting too hot. A quick train ride after that and I was at the Oji Zoo in Kobe. This is a pretty nice zoo by Japanese standards but is still pretty depressing compared to, say, the Detroit zoo. Highlights included a (sleeping) panda, two polar bears who were not amused by the heat, and a very photogenic hippo. Realizing it was getting close to the start time for the concert I was attending I raced over to the Harborland Mall. I picked up a new game-pad at my favorite electronics shop and stopped in the food court for some (really bad) K.F.C.. At this point I needed to get across town quickly so I caught a cab to the venue. I arrived just in time and met one of my friends at the entrance. As we were standing around waiting for the show to start I made the gut-wrenching realization that my phone had slipped out of my pocket during the cab ride. Thankfully the fiend I was with had the bright Idead to use her phone to call mine. After many tried the first act came on stage (Soonji from Kyoto) and I tried my hardest to enjoy them. During the first intermission I called myself again this time getting through to a police officer who had my phone. The cabbie had turned it into the station just down the block from the live-house. Disaster everted I could enjoy the last two acts (Crying Nut from Korea and The 50 Kaitenz from Osaka.) After the show a Japanese friend came with me to the station and helped negotiate the paperwork I had to sign to get my phone back. One that was finished we went out for a celebratory bowl of ramen before catching the last train home.

Thursday, as usual, was nothing to write home about,

Friday I had yet another sub-shift at a school I used to work at. Again, the staff were really happy to see me.

The plan Saturday was to go see a movie with friends after work but things fell through as everyone and their mother was at the theater (it being a Saturday and the first of the month, or 1/2 off day.) We could have gotten tickets in the very first row but decided it would be better to wait and see the movie another day.

After work on Sunday I worked on planning my kindergarten classes for Monday. I was glad for the training session at the end of summer vacation as I used some of the techniques we reviewed then.

Monday morning I was up at the crack of dawn and out the door at half past. On top of this being a new school for me (gotta make a good first impression) it was a new lesson I've never taught as well as a "parent's day" where the kids parents are encouraged to come watch what I do. Needless to say I was a little nervous. In the end, however, things worked out for the best and I taught some good classes. My evening web classes were all full and it was a particularly long shift after which I went straight home and collapsed into bed.

I didn't leave the house at all on Tuesday and only managed to put on pants when the pizza delivery guy arrived with my lunch.  It was a gloriously relaxing day.

Wednesday afternoon I met up with a nice girl with is looking for a language exchange partner. I'm not sure if things will work out but it was nice to meet someone new. In the evening a number of friend came over and we played Magic: the Gathering. A friend who left Japan a year and a half ago was back in town so we revived our "Torikizoku" (local chain-pub) night. We had a great turnout and it was a good chance to chat with a bunch of people.

Thursday was busy at work and I couldn't be bothered to write anything in the evening so here I am, Friday morning making this week's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment